Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's Applicable All Year Round

I finally started using the mp3 player I got for last year's birthday after DH got me a cassette converter so I can play it in the car for this year's birthday.

Now that we are coming up on Thanksgiving, I'm switching over to Christmas music, including the album from the Barenaked Ladies, "Barenaked for the Holidays". I've had this album for a couple of years, and have liked it, but today driving to and from the RE's appointment one of the songs made me tear up not once, but twice. More than any song I've heard recently it hit me close to my tired and frozen infertile heart.

The song is "Hannukah Blessings" and since I can't seem to find the video online, here are the lyrics:

How Lucky are we that we have lights so we can see

Although the day is done

What a miracle that a spark lifts these candles out of the dark

Every evening, one by one

Until the end of hanukkah, of hanukkah.


With the jingle bells and the toys

And the TV shows and noise

It's easy to forget

At the end of the day

Our whole family will say

These words for Hanukkah


Baruch atah Adonai, eloheinu melech ha'olam, asher kid'shanu

B'mitz'votav v'tzivanu l'hadlik ner shel Hanukkah.

Light the candles for Hanukkah, for Hanukkah

We remember how Maccabees


Fought so all of us could be free


And so we celebrate on this festival of the lights


There's a joyful time every night


But we illuminate the candles of Hanukkah, of Hanukkah


Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech ha'olam she'asa niseem


La'avoteinu bayamim haheim baz'man hazeh.


Hanukkah...


Hanukkah...


If you haven't heard the song I recommend you search it out since the tune is just as nice as the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment