Friday, January 23, 2009

Thoughts on an Open Letter

As I was eating my breakfast this morning, the Today show played a tape of the Bush daughters reading the letter they had written to the Obama girls.

It didn't give me chills, but almost, when I heard it. Reading it here did bring tears to my eyes.

I had to wonder how much of the advice in the letter the Obama girls will understand at their ages - and how much they will look back and realize they missed out on.

It was a strong reminder that the President, whoever he may be to the nation and world, is still a person and big part of that person is being someone's Daddy. It's a position that started before the Presidency and will continue long after the White House is vacated for the next occupant.

While no Daddies are perfect, many look that way to their kids. I hope that those who want to find fault with Obama remember that truth, and in expressing their dissatisfaction keep the personal issues away from the political.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was a really sweet gesture, too. But was a little annoyed that it was sent to the Wall Street Journal instead of directly to the Obama girls. Apparently the Bush twins needed one more attention whore moment??

    ReplyDelete