Monday, June 1, 2009

IVF#1 Retrieval (Almost) Scheduled

This Wednesday. Time TBD (should know sometime today, hopefully sooner than later).

As of Sunday, I have 2 large eggs, 2 medium eggs, and a scattering of small eggs. It's not what we were hoping for, and certainly cements my position as a low-responder.

I suppose we will find out how good they are Wednesday or Thursday. I'm hoping for AA Quality per the USDA standards.

Tonight, at some time yet TBD (because it is based on the retrieval schedule), I will receive my first intra-muscular injection of this process. Good thing DH has skillz thanks to his EMT+ training. For those unfamiliar with this process, the injection goes in the tushie. Makes it a little harder to self-inject as I have been able to do with all of the other drugs.

To keep DH from missing a full day of work with driving back and forth between home, the appointment, and his office, my mother is scheduled to come down Tuesday night. She will go with me to the appointment, drive me home, and then be around for anything I might need that afternoon, and possibly most of Thursday, depending on how I feel. DH will be there before I go in, but I don't expect him to wait around during the procedure. Based on prior experience with general anesthesia (wisdom teeth, colonoscopy) I won't remember anything for a good couple hours after I come out.

Transfer should be Saturday or the following Monday if things look good enough to go to a 5-day. Either one still leaves enough time for bed-rest before the planned events of the weekend of the 13-14th.

At this point I find myself unable to think anything but good, positive thoughts about the retrieval, fertilization and transfer processes.

For those from LFCA - What do you remember about the retrieval process and recovery? Any advice about things I should take, shouldn't take? What should I expect that day and the following?


  1. I remember a long wait for my retrieval. My doc was hung up in surgery prior to his arrival at the IVF center. You may not have the wait I had.

    Make friends with your anesthesia provider. They will be your best friend. I was asleep the entire time, and I had 19 eggs retrieved. My RE did a paracervical block, which helped a lot with the pain. Once the block wore off, I was hurting.

    It took me a couple of days to feel relatively human again. Likely you will be prescribed lortab for post-procedure. (I discovered Lortab did not agree with me. Next time, I will ask for a different pain killer.) Also, you start progesterone supplementation post retrieval.

    I would bring something to listen to and/or read. You might end up waiting, at least a little bit. The team brought my ipod into the procedure room and listened to my music as they did the procedure. They got me out of there fairly quickly once the procedure was done, and I seemed relatively awake. That was really nice.

    Good luck with your retrieval! I hope it goes well!

  2. I just had my first retrieval yesterday. They didn't use a general anesthetic - only conscious sedation. And, the only pain medicine was Tylenol. But, I was fine. I rested in recovery for about an hour, got dressed and went for a bagel. Then, my husband drove me home. I slept for about an hour. The rest of the day was pretty low key - I mostly stayed on the couch, but I didn't feel too bad - and I'm at work today.

  3. I have no wisdom to offer you as I am unfamiliar with IVF, but I can't help but think lovely, baby-laden thoughts for you and DH as you prepare to do this. Good luck!

  4. I was not at LFCA so I am just giving general comment. Each IVF was different but I have always had conscious sedation. The pain was not too bad , I found the pain was proportionate to the amount of eggs retrieved but a painkiller always worked and I go back to work the following day.

    Good Luck!

  5. Hey...a lurker here.just wanted to wish you good luck for your retrieval.

  6. I had a lot of gas post-retrieval #1, but that might have had something to do with the fact that I had a very salty lunch after the retrieval - big mistake!

    Second post-retrieval was a breeze. Although, I requested a prescription for a pain killer just in case.

    The usual advice applies here as with just about anything involving invasive bodily procedures - drink plenty of water afterwards, take it easy and avoid salt!

    You have done your part and now it is up to those little eggies to decide to do their thing.

    Best of luck!

  7. Great post. It totally drives me up when I have read it.