Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snow! And Other Distractions

Yesterday I had a snow day off work. I love snow days, and it's been a couple of years since I've had one. Even if I spend the day doing things that have built up (ahem - cleaning the house - ahem), it's nice to have the unexpected time to use as I want and not be tied to any outside schedule. DH also had a snow day, so we were both home and neither one of us resented the other for not being at work. It's hard to be certain but I think we ended up with 5 inches (plus or minus).

Our dog is such a goof in the snow. She just lets loose and does this funny run we call butt-scooting that she doesn't do any other time. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's more like a rabbit runs with the back feet coming forward between the front, instead of her normal front paws first run.

What else? It took us almost 4.5 hours to drive home Sunday in the snow. It usually takes a little over 2 hours start to finish. That's partly because there were a bunch of crazy drivers out there, including one Prius driver whom we stopped to help out of a ditch (however environmentally friendly it may be, it's not a good car to be driving in snow!), and because there was so little visibility DH didn't feel comfortable going more than 35mph even with the 4-wheel drive locked in and very few other vehicles on the secondary road we took instead of the interstate (where most of the crazy drivers were congregated).

With the snow, we made the decision to leave DH's car at the hotel where we met Friday before heading up in one vehicle. So, tomorrow morning (probably) I get to drive a good hour and a half (round trip) to take him to his vehicle on top of my normal 25 min commute. It will depend on how clear the roads are by this evening, and whether they've dried from the snow melt, or refrozen. Fun times, fun times.

Our 7th wedding anniversary is coming up next Monday and I haven't even started to think about what to get DH. I know I'm only getting a card from him because the surprise ski purchase counted for more than Valentine's Day.

Oh, in a spurt of imagination and boredom at work, I've started writing what I hope will be a full length book, but may only amount to a short story or novelette. It started with a dream I had, and exploded from there. Those of you who have written fiction should know what I mean. I started with an idea, outlined a plot (surprisingly to me, different from the dream), and then once I started to write, the characters took over and the story just started to head in a different direction, again. I almost feel like I'm just along for the ride, but I'm interested to see where it goes.

What's up with you? How did the snow storm affect your plans?

1 comment:

  1. Silly novels! Just when you start to think you've got a nice plot all lined out they decide to head in a completely different direction. Good and luck and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete