Monday, February 9, 2009

Don't Look For Me In Vancouver in 2010

As you may remember, we've been up to the condo a few weekends during ski season already. This is the first weekend I've (gotten off my lazy ass and) hit the slopes. Combine that with not having done any sort of physical activity greater than the weekly marathons I run through Target and the local Super Wal-Mart equals more soreness than I would like.

Being taken out by a slightly out-of-control fellow skier* didn't help matters by adding to the number of locations on my body that are tender and aching. (slight break of promise here...) Thanks to the 2-week wait I'm avoiding ibuprofen, and acetaminophen only makes things worse, so I'm just having to wait out the healing process naturally.

The most humiliating part: my in-laws (who invited themselves up to the condo with us this weekend) not only ski better than I do despite several years since their last outing, but have more endurance because, unlike me, they work out on a regular basis.

At least they made up for it by taking us out to dinner at the nice steak restaurant on the mountain. Everyone else ordered the filet mignon, and I was the odd one out with lamb chops. I pick up tenderloin steaks at the grocery store on a semi-regular basis, so wanted to try something different and I was glad I did. Despite DH's baa-ing like a little lamb when they arrived, and my discovery that the mint jelly served with them was spearmint (blech!) I completely enjoyed them and was very sorry that my stomach ran out of room before I ran out of meat. Since DH and I don't eat out very often, it was definitely one of the best meals I've had in a long while.

Next weekend we're back up there with my BIL who will be snowboarding for the 2nd time. I'm hoping that by then I'll be recovered enough to keep up with him.



*Seriously, that it was a skier surprised me. I figured it was going to be a snowboarder who took me out. It's almost like I am a magnet for out-of-control people on the slopes. And I really, really, really hate snowboarders who sit in groups in the middle of the slope, or block a cross-trail, or fall right in front of me. I swear they need a license or something - no snowboarding unless you can follow these rules of (what I think should be) common courtesy.

2 comments:

  1. I was once in a collision with an out-of-control skiier. I was standing on my skiis, in my first skiing lesson, when some crazy lady started shrieking and yelling at me to move because she was smoking it down the mountain.

    I didn't know how to ski well enough to move yet, so I just stood there until she plowed into me. She was little, and I'm big, so she literally just hit me and then fell down. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the 2 week wait? Is the worst thing ever. Hate hate hate.

    ReplyDelete