Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sad News

DH's maternal grandmother passed away this morning.

It was not entirely unexpected, but is still hard on the family.

We last saw her a few weekends back when we joined DH's parents, brother, and mother's cousin's family to celebrate her birthday.

The funeral and burial will be this Monday morning with a reception to follow.

DH and his brother will be pall bearers.

My job is to support DH as he supported me when my grandfather passed away.

I'm not sure what I believe about an afterlife. But I do hope that DH's grandmother is happier and healthier than she was the last years of her life.

I really wish I could write something touching and poignant about her, but I found her a difficult person to be comfortable with. So instead I'll end with the funniest thing I ever heard her say: She and I were riding with DH on the road to the Outer Banks for Easter a few years back. We happened to see a few cows in a field next to the road. I, out of force of habit, mooed at them, and DH's grandmother remarked "That's a lot of steak." Maybe you had to be there and know her personality in later years, but coming from her, it was pretty funny.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. That steak comment is pretty funny though!!LOL

    ReplyDelete