Friday, February 15, 2008

Recap

Well, to start off, I didn't even try to start finding a place to eat dinner last night until late. Late as in after NOON on Valentine's day. Luckily, after the 1st place laughed at me, and the 2nd place's only available reservations were at 4:15 and 9:45, it only took one more phone call to arrange "call-ahead" seating at an italian chain restaurant for dinner at 5:30. Third time was definitely the charm!

If the third call hadn't worked, I would have had to go to plan B: Restaurants for which we didn't have a gift card.

So I get to the restaurant a little before 5:30 and am seated immediately with the choice of a booth or table. DH arrives 5 minutes later and we take our time enjoying our meals. By the time we left (6:45?, I didn't look at the time), we overheard the current wait was 1 & 1/2 hours. And because of the gift card, we only had to pay something under $2 (plus tip of $10 or so) for a glass of wine or beer each, our meals, and a dessert each.

Once we got home we exchanged cards and presents. DH got me the "Buddy" animated/talking dog from Hallmark. It's pretty cute, and he did put some effort into finding it because the first store he went to it was sold out. I got DH a bottle of his favorite bourbon. It's moderately expensive, so I try to time my purchases to coincide with gift-giving holidays. Of course, if he had run out I wouldn't wait for a holiday to get it, but would still stick a bow on it or something.

Since we'd eaten so early (it was a little strange, but really worked) we got home with plenty of time to feed the dog, watch some tv, and relax for the rest of the evening. DH did some other stuff, but I can't talk about that yet.

Overall it was a pretty low key night, but much better than some. I think it helped that I didn't have high expectations for dozens of roses, expensive chocolates, and jewelry. Hey, we're married and trying for children, the most exciting thing would be if I'd had a positive HPT. (which, btw, since today is day 4 of Clomid 100mg round #3, would have taken some sort of medical miracle)

DH says I can buy my own flowers*, so I had purchased a bunch of tulips at W*l-M*rt earlier in the week. They remind me of our wedding as we used them in the table displays, my bridesmaids carried them, and they were placed in some other locations at the reception. These are a pretty variegated pink and yellow which really complements the colors in the house. Roses are nice, but I like tulips better. And that's before comparing the $4 for the tulips to $20+ for the same amount of roses. My boss gave me a small box of Russell Stover chocolates, so I was covered! And I'm not big on wearing jewelry, so all was good.

How did you celebrate the day? Or did you ignore it?


*I'm okay with this because he shows his love in many other ways. It's just not his thing to do - and since our finances are shared, if I buy them, he's paying for them too.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Valentine's Day!

    We don't do Valentines Day. My opinion is that my husband should do something thoughtful for me on a random day because he wants to, instead of Valentines day because he feels obligated. We did exchange cards and enjoy some Cheesy Ham and Hashbrowns in front of the TV, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you had a great V-day!! I totally agree that low-key is better than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like roses, but I prefer more unique flowers too. And if they are roses I like pink, peach, etc. roses more than I like red roses. Edgar got me a beautiful blue hydrangea for Valentines (I had been eying them at the Ukrops for a week or two) and I love it because it's still alive and roses wouldn't have been!!!! we had a very low key Valentine's Day this year. We made pizza and watched a movie together and cuddled on the couch--I couldn't have asked for more!

    ReplyDelete