Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A Shopping Confession

I'm a Super Wal-M*rt shopper. I admit it. I know better. Still, I can't resist the convenience of buying everything at one store on my way home from work, and not having to go out of my way to do so. Grocery stores should be located at each interstate exit, just like gas stations and fast-food restaurants seem to be.

Going to Wal-M*rt is always an interesting experience. I must learn to never go there on a federal holiday Monday. Ye gods. The humanity, the teeming masses, the great unwashed. Pick your adjective. It is always the same - too many people with overflowing baskets, out-of-control children, and too few cashiers. Ours does not yet have the questionable convenience of self-checkout lanes, and makes do with several "Under 20-item" lanes, the lines for which usually equal the lines for the "normal" lanes.

I have this week gone to Wal-M*rt two times, on consecutive days. Not part of the weeks plan, but you do what you have to when your DH runs out of deodorant without giving his DW any warning.

Yesterday illustrated one of the many reasons I love living in this area. As I was fruitlessly searching for Reece's Pieces (apparently not so popular anymore) in the check out lane candy, I started to chat with an older woman regarding the lack of Reece's Pieces. Seemingly sensing my defeat at not finding the above candy (and more probably noting that I only had 4 items, including my settled upon Almond Joy) the woman offered to let me go ahead of her in line.

That's something to think about when I start grumbling about the tourists and retired people who make this area a driving nightmare.

1 comment:

  1. I don't mind Wal-M*rt so much, but I do hate the one near Luke's and my apartment and refuse to go there unless it's an absolute emergency. If only Super Target were open twenty-four hours a day!

    ReplyDelete