Thursday, April 5, 2007

Exhaustion

My DH and I are celebrating our 5th Anniversary by returning to the same all-inclusive resort where we spent our honeymoon. This time, we know what to expect, and what we plan to do for the six nights we are there - drink free alcohol and sleep. We will move from our bed to the pool lounges and back with a quick stop in between to grab a snack from the cabana and slap on some sunscreen.

I got a call the beginning of the week from the airline saying that there had been a change to the flights I had so carefully picked out last fall when we booked our vacation. The airline had cancelled the second leg of our returning flight. Augggghhh!

I went into this call expecting the airline to take care of us since it was their change that caused the issue. I was not disappointed. The only other option for a flight to our departing airport gave us only 30 minutes to collect our bags, get through customs, and board the next flight. Not going to happen, and the airline representative recognized this.

Their first offer kept us at the same airport for which I had originally booked the flights. We would return to the states from our vacation Friday night and fly home Saturday morning, with the airline providing a hotel voucher for the overnight stay. This would mean additional time in the kennel for our dog, and at least another 1/2 day of expense for us. When I mentioned this, the representative asked whether there was another airport we could use. Why yes, we could use y airport instead of x. Looking at y airport, there are flights which match (almost exactly) the original flights I had picked out, just from airport y. The airline rep and I probably spent a half-hour on the phone getting this straightened out. And this was for tickets which I had used airline miles to purchase. Thank you Delta Airlines for not screwing me on something I had no control over!

It's been two or three years since we have taken a real vacation. The week we spend each summer using his family's house on the outer banks don't really count. Inevitably either his family spends part of the time with us, or a hurricane does. Either event makes for more stress than it releases. Free lodging does come with a price.

This will probably be our last real vacation for a long time as we are going to try to start a family this year. If my body cooperates. So far I've been off Depo-Provera for four months and I have yet to have a monthly cycle (TMI? So sorry.). Of course, I was on it for seven years (silly me, I neglected to read the paperwork about loss of bone density, and how you shouldn't be on it for more than a couple of years consecutively. Calcium anyone?), so I am little bit concerned, but not horribly at this point. It can wait for my yearly checkup in June.

Nine days and counting....sun, sand, and alcohol here we come!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogland!

    I read somewhere that if you take calcium supplements intermittently (three days on, one day off, say), you build up more bone than if you take it every day, because your body doesn't get used to it and take it for granted. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete