Monday, January 28, 2013

Another Month, Another Rite of Passage

POTTY. POTTY. POTTY.

Say it enough and it starts to sound funny. At least it's not one of those words which starts to look funny even when it's spelled properly.

Guess what we've been working on in these parts?

After a few isolated days of LO insisting she wanted to wear panties (at home only, I am not an idiot. Well, most of the time I'm not.) with varying success levels, she finally seems to have stuck with it and is maintaining daytime dry since mid-day Tuesday the 22nd after we took the dog to the vet (to have stitches removed from her eye(!) after scratching her cornea).

This was all her.  I am happy to facilitate but she is not being forced or encouraged to do this without expressing any interest.  Wait, does offering M&M's for sitting on the potty count as encouragement if she's wearing panties per her own choice? Or is it only encouragement if she's wearing a diaper or pullups? 

We've had varying levels of success with overnight dry.  A several nights of dry followed by a couple of wet nights.  Again, not an idiot, she's still in diapers for overnight until she has enough dry nights for me to be comfortable.  Also, she is still comfortably in the crib wearing zippered footy pj's so she can't get herself to the potty even if she wanted to.

Not sure how long this is going to take, and I have not even dreamed about attempting an errand trip sans diaper/pullup but LO's doing well at preschool also (though Friday she did not pee at all until I got there to pick her up after 4-5 hours).  I'm trying not to stress about it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to add more panties to my shopping list. Looks like we're in it for the long haul this time.

1 comment:

  1. I dread this moment. And George seems to be right on the brink of this and I just stick my fingers in my ears and la-la-la-ing very loud so that I don't have to do anything about it. I dream about waking up and have him toilet trained overnight, without any involvement on my part. No, it doesn't work like this? Huh... Then let's just sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings. Or next week. Maybe he CAN do it by himslef after all, eh?
    You're a braver woman than I. And I envy you.

    ReplyDelete