Thursday, April 26, 2012

To the Beach, Boys!

10 days ago DH and I cranked our sleep-crusted eyes open at the crack of oh-dark-thirty (aka 3:30 freakin' AM) and made our weary way to the airport for a 6:30 flight.  8 hours later - we were in Antigua doing our best to relax and recover and drink our stresses into submission.

1 nasty cleavage sunburn and 20 sandy toes later: mission accomplished.

I'll admit, it was hard to walk out the door of Little One's room after putting her to bed the night before we left, but I'm so glad we decided to go for 9 nights at an all-inclusive resort where the biggest decision we had to make all day was where to go for dinner.  No errands, no work crap, just DH and me enjoying each other (yes, that way too, you nosy parkers!).  After 10 years of marriage, it was nice to find that we still like each other when there are no other distractions.

Oh, and I found out on our last full day...that I like paddle boarding.  Me, who never exercises if I can help it, likes an athletic activity.  Go figure.  We checked out the pic's taken by the resort photographer of our return (actually only my return, since DH came in farther away from the photographer) and there was serious joy on my face.  Well, what you could see of my face - the pictures were a little too dark to purchase.

We made some new friends, we swam in the ocean, we laid by the pool; we ate and drank on a more than regular basis. (Ok, that was just me as well - apparently eating and eating and eating and drinking and drinking and drinking with turning over and making my way to the bar on a regular basis as my major activities allow the pounds to resettle where they had so recently departed. But not back to my boobs - what's up with that?)

The return trip was more gristly.  We left the resort at 11AM (I'd been up since 6:15ish since I apparently have lost the ability to sleep later than 7 even on vacation - but that meant a last few hours of pool and sun before we had to leave) and didn't get home until around 1:30AM, and into bed at 2AM.  Part of that was thanks to a detour for a late-night stop at IHOP* for sustenance on the way home, but what really took so long was a lay-over at Newark airport ('where hope goes to die' really should be it's slogan) which was extended by a late arrival by the plane needed to get us to the local airport.

5 hours later I was awake for the day, 11 hours later Little One was returned to us by the in-laws, and I'm pretty sure once I eat dinner tonight I'll be done for the day.

With over 250 posts still in my reader, it's going to take a bit for me to catch up...I'm hoping all the news has been good for everyone!


*Where we got our meal for free thanks to our waitress apparently imagining that she had taken our order and turned it in and thus ignoring us on her next 10 trips into the dining room.  We tipped the off-duty waitress who actually took our order and entered it into the system and the cook who both seated us and found the other waitress to take our order.

2 comments:

  1. I do hope blogspot lets me comment this time...
    It sounds like you had a blast. And i am very happy for you. You deserve it.
    Now back to real life, huh?:-)
    And we're still hoping for good news. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an awesome trip. Hope you didn't need a vacation from the vacation to recover!

    ReplyDelete