Thursday, December 3, 2009

Excuse me while I dust the flour from my nose.

I have not been in the habit of baking for Christmas.

There are several reasons for this...
-we're not social people, so don't have many parties to attend where the goodies could be distributed
-there aren't enough people at my office to make goodies disappear, and DH doesn't feel comfortable taking things in
-and following, with just two of us, we don't really need the overload of sweets hanging around

But this year, I'm really feeling the urge to channel my frustration about the lack of progress in IVF into baking. So this weekend, in addition to getting and decorating our live tree, and decorating the house inside and out, I'll have the oven cranked up and will be in full production mode.

Yesterday's grocery trip found me bringing home a combined 20 pounds of sugar and flour and I expect to go through every pound.

On my list so far - multiple batches of decorated gingerbread men and ladies, shortbread, banana bread, peanut butter blossoms (with the kiss the middle), oatmeal raisin cookies...and perhaps some pfeffernusse if I feel up to it.

What kinds of cookies or other treats scream Christmas to you?

3 comments:

  1. My mom always makes these cookies that are dipped in egg and then dipped in pecan pieces, and then a few min into the cooking, you use you're thumb (or cantaloupe scooper its what we use) to make an indention, finish letting it cook, and then once it cools, you fill it with frosting... but not any frosting, really yummy frosting... we always dye it red and green (more pink and sea foam but who's counting!) If you want the recipe, I can try to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, what screams holidays to me? I'd definitely say homemade fudge. Something about it just puts me right into the holiday place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holiday baking over here is well under way. Fruitcake (light), gingerbread batches are both gone, sugar cookies eaten, and icebox cookies (WB's grandma's) snapped up.

    Which says Christmas to me? I would have to say shortbread. Yummy buttery flaky. Great - now I want to make some to take to Montréal! :)

    ReplyDelete