Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sickness (or health)?

DH was sick this weekend. Fever, aches, mucous. Overall, a really bad cold.

He was a cranky boy. He couldn't sleep, even with Nyquil*, because his head was stuffed up and his nose kept running. Didn't want to do anything because he was tired. Nothing tasted good to him. Nothing on TV was entertaining. Nothing made him happy.

After 2 1/2 days of this, including Friday night, I've never been so happy to see a Monday morning!

Maybe I'm fooling myself but I don't think I'm quite so much of a pain to live with when I feel icky. But then, I don't remember the last time I had a fever, etc. There are certain things I want such as ginger ale, toast with cinnamon & sugar, watered down orange juice with added sugar; things my mom pretty much only made for me when I was sick. He has none of those, which is more of a pain than making a special trip to the store for whatever item he has to have to feel better.

I know that since I started to get the flu shot on a yearly basis I've not gotten sick nearly as much, even when I worked at the private school (we could get shots even when supply was low because of the boarding school environment!). And I don't work in an environment where lots of germs get passed around.

DH also gets the flu shot, but his office has several employees with kids in day-cares, so those employees keep the environment more polluted with germs than I would ever be exposed to in my weekly trips to W@l-Mart and other shopping meccas. Considering these contributing factors, I'm expecting more of these episodes in the future.

Hold me.

Any suggestions for things that help you feel better when you are sick?

*The new formulation of Nyquil no longer has pseudophedrine so it can remain out on the shelves instead of behind the pharmacy counter. Thanks meth addicts!

3 comments:

  1. I swear by Airborne, both for when I'm starting to feel sick and for the duration of my cold. I don't think it instantly gets rid of your cold, but it definitely seems to shorten it.
    Also, I stopped getting the flu shot because I always got a terrible strain of the flu with it. Last year I didn't get the shot and I never got the flu. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mention that I also believe in taking large doses of Vitamin C at the first feeling that I might be getting sick. That's 2000 to 4000mg on an irregular basis. I certainly wouldn't take that much every day. But, and I don't know if this is a placebo effect, it does seem to chase off any cold like symptoms.

    In the 12 months before I met my husband I had 3 episodes with 103+ fevers. For one illness I went home for my mom to take care of me (oh the joys of living close to parents) and my parents ended up almost having to take me to the emergency room with a 104+ fever and delirium/dehydration. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't gone to stay with themeven though at the time I still lived in the same town. Our shared doctors office had a great program with a nurse on call who was very instrumental in helping my parents get me through that. Also at the time I was working in an environment where at least one employee had two kids in day and before/after school care.

    Since I started getting the flu shot, and it also helped to get out of that environment, all I've had are some colds...so I'm a believer.

    Not to discount your experience, I just wanted to explain further. I really don't want to get so sick again anytime, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being sick just plain sucks. I want to be babied when I'm sick, but I'm not good at babying other people. I am always afraid I'll get sick and so I stay away.

    ReplyDelete