Monday, October 19, 2009

Living Single - The Negatives

Back before I met DH I owned and maintained my own townhouse, had a job, and managed to keep myself occupied socially - enough to be satisfactory, not so much I was overwhelmed.

Then we got together and got married and he's dealt with the mundane things such as taking out the recycling and trash on the appropriate days, cleaning the litter box on a regular basis, and making sure our finances were in order. Needless to say, I haven't done much of that since.

Of course his work trips this fall have required that I deal with more of the day to day items than I have in over 7 years. Okay, that's fine, those things don't take so much time, I can fit them in in the morning and still make it to work, mostly on time.

This trip has been, despite expectations, going on for over a week, and it looks like he's not going to be back until the end of this coming week. In the meantime, bills that weren't here when he left have started to come due, so we spent the better portion of our nightly conversation on Saturday walking through the process and determining what actions I need to take this week.

Guess what else: After the week of rain we just experienced, the grass also needs to be cut. As for what I'll be learning to do over the phone next...at least it's a riding mower.

My position now is that we need to do some cross training when he returns.

(Of course, without him around, I haven't had to make a proper dinner with meat/starch/veggie since I'm satisfied to have some hummus and naan, or a bowl of soup or cereal, or even a stack of gingersnaps and call it good. Maybe that's why I've even managed to lose a pound or two without trying?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm equally as at a loss without mu husband around. Since he started school I've gotten a lot better, but it's still next to impossible to get me to cook for myself.

    ReplyDelete